South Bronx Community Charter High School promotes student excellence through an emphasis on academic, personal and professional skills in a supportive and responsive learning environment. SBC students graduate with a positive sense of self, ready to design and realize their futures in college, community and career.
SBC Instructional Model
South Bronx Community Charter High School is a competency-based school. We organize all of our teaching and learning around a core set of skills, mindsets and abilities that students must master in order to be graduated. Our students are assessed and advanced based on what they are able to demonstrate. We expect and support all of our students to achieve at high levels.
Our classes are organized into four categories: studios, selectives, targeted support and CORE.
- Studios: interdisciplinary classes that cover math, science, English Language Arts, and social studies content
- Selectives: choice-based art, movement, and special interest classes
- Targeted support: daily tutoring and enrichment classes
- CORE: advising, group mentoring, and college and career exploration class
*SBC students also participate in brotherhood and sisterhood groups as part of our weekly Rite of Passage program that supports identity develop and positive peer relationships.
How We Address the Needs of All Learners
At SBC, we pay attention to the strengths and needs of each individual student.
- Our competency-based model supports students with disabilities and English language learners
- We use a Response To Intervention (RTI) approach that offers a variety of supports to students including assistive technology, access to Learning Coaches, and programmed supports and tutoring
- We have Special Education staff
- We emphasize literacy across the curriculum
- SBC employs bilingual staff
Education at South Bronx Community Charter High School
At SBC, learning is dynamic. We focus on the process of learning so that students can continue to strive and thrive beyond high school and throughout life. We focus on a core set of learning targets called competencies and attainments.
For Current Students
Any eligible application that is submitted is automatically part of South Bronx Community’s admissions lottery – no additional action is needed beyond submission of a complete application. The South Bronx Community Charter High School admissions lottery will take place on April 8. Prospective SBC families and students do not have to attend the admissions lottery since results will not be immediately available, but they are free to attend if they wish.
The lottery is completely random with select preferences built in. Lottery preferences are provided for:
● Siblings of current or accepted students
● Applicants who reside within the Bronx Community School District (CSD) 7
Anyone applying by April 1st will receive notification of lottery results by mail, email, and/or phone call in mid April. If your child is not initially selected via the lottery system for immediate admission to South Bronx Community, he or she will be place on our waitlist. As we attempt to enroll those who were selected, we may need to draw from our waitlist to fill seats left vacant by those who might have moved or had other circumstances that prevent them enrolling in South Bronx Community. Those decisions will be communicated via mail, email, and/or phone call. The full results of the admissions lottery will be available on South Bronx Community’s website in late April. There are two possible outcomes from the lottery – acceptance or placement on the waitlist. No one is rejected for any reason.
If you are granted a seat based on your random lottery number, you will receive information about how to enroll your child. During this process, you will need to confirm or provide key information that will allow South Bronx Community to properly serve you and your child. We will also inform you of any orientations and summer sessions at this time.
If your child is not accepted during the initial lottery (as determined by his or her random lottery number), or if you apply after the April 1st deadline, he or she will be placed on our waitlist. We will provide as much information as possible on the likelihood of your child receiving a seat. We expect that some children will be accepted off the waitlist. We update the wait list regularly and will notify you if your child becomes accepted.
Are you interested in being a founding staff member at an innovative new high school? Apply to South Bronx Community Charter High School today.
Co-Founder & Executive Director
Co-Founder & Academic Director
Co-Founder & Youth Development Director
890 Washington Avenue, 5th floor Bronx, NY 10451
(646) 470-5594 | email@example.com
890 Washington Avenue, 5th floor Bronx, NY 10451
Your generous gift will fund far-reaching and mission-critical work, including:
- College and career access, counseling, planning, and attainment
- Internships, summer pre-college programs, and diverse off-site enrichment
- Cutting-edge instruction through further development of EPIC’s model competency framework
- Teacher development in progressive emerging practices, particularly around instructional design for mastery and cultural responsiveness